Skip to main content
Tax ReturnsTax Tips

What To Do If You’re Missing W-2s

You should have received your W-2 form, Wage and Tax Statement by February 2nd. Since your W-2 shows the amount of your wages and taxes withheld from your salary during 2014 you’ll need it to correctly prepare your tax return.

If you still missing  W-2s at this time you should take the following action:

First, contact your employer and ask for a copy. If you are unsuccessful in obtaining your W-2 from your employer you’ll need to wait until after February 23rd and then call the IRS. When calling the IRS you must provide them with the following information:

  • Your name, social security number and telephone number
  • The name, address and phone number of your employer
  • The beginning and ending dates you worked for your employer
  • The approximate amount of salary and income tax withheld

The IRS will you this information to send a letter to your employer to get your missing W-2.

Still Missing W-2s

In the event you still haven’t received your W-2 by April 15th you can either ask for a six-month extension to file your return and wait for your W-2, or timely file and use Form 4852 Substitute for W-2 Wage and Tax Statement to estimate your wages and income taxes withheld. Unfortunately, it will probably take more time for the IRS to process your return when you use Form 4852.

If you file your tax return with estimated wage information you may need to amend your return if you later receive the missing W-2 and the amounts differ from those reported on your return. You can correct your return by filing Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Contact Us 

You deserve the best in IRS tax representation, tax preparation, and tax planning services. At East Coast Tax Consulting Group, you’ll work with a licensed CPA who will handle your case from beginning to end. We invite you to contact our team to schedule a free, confidential consultation.